CD has been so ill they must discourage visit by WDF. Recovering slowly with new treatment.
Down Bromley | Kent
Dear Mr Fox
I wish we could have accepted your kind proposal of coming here but I must tell you how ill Charles has been since we were at Malvern. He has had almost daily vomiting for 6 months &
it was becoming a great anxiety that it should be stopped.
About 3 weeks ago D
You know that the pleasure of seeing & talking with you w
The day we saw you in London last spring has been almost the last time of his being tolerably well—
He is still in his room & goes to bed more than once in the day, but he walks out of doors & occupies himself a good deal with experiments with his flowers, so that tho' his progress is very slow he does get on. I dare say you are enough of a Doctor to like to know what has done him so much good It is small & very frequent doses of Chalk, Magnesia & Carbonate of Ammonia Charles desires me to give you his kind love—
I am my dear Mr Fox | Yours very sincerely | E. Darwin
Will you remember us both to Mrs Fox
- f1 4487.f1See letter from W. D. Fox, 5 [May 1864].
- f2 4487.f2The Darwin family spent from 3 September to 12 or 13 October 1863 at Malvern Wells, Worcestershire, where CD and Horace Darwin took the water cure at the hydropathic establishment of James Smith Ayerst (see Correspondence vol. 11, Appendix II).
- f3 4487.f3William Jenner first visited CD on 20 March 1864; his second visit was on 10 April (Emma Darwin's diary (DAR 242)). See also letter from William Jenner to Emma Darwin, [17 March 1864] and n. 2, and letter to J. D. Hooker, 13 April .
- f4 4487.f4CD stayed with Erasmus Alvey Darwin from 4 to 14 February 1863 (Emma Darwin's diary (DAR 242)). CD and Fox met on 13 February (see Correspondence vol. 11, letter from W. D. Fox, [11 February 1863]).
- f5 4487.f5On the course of treatment prescribed by Jenner, see the letter to J. D. Hooker, 13 April  and n. 6. Fox had taken a keen interest in CD's health for many years (see, for example, Correspondence vol. 4, letter to W. D. Fox, [May 1850], and Colp 1977).
- f6 4487.f6Ellen Sophia Fox.