Using a range of primary sources, including letters diary entries and contemporary images, the activities give pupils an understanding of Darwin’s experience aboard HMS Beagle. Activities reflect on the past and make comparisons with modern expeditions.
By the end of the activities pupils will be able to:
- describe details of Darwin’s voyage, why it was significant and the impact that it has had
- reflect on key relationships in Darwin’s younger life
- understand principles of collecting and conserving specimens
- analyse and compare historical sources
- compare 19th century and contemporary expeditions