Congratulations on JL's marriage. Invitation to dine at Down with the Hookers, Huxleys, and T. V. Wollaston.
Before I come to the purpose of my note, let me give you my very sincere congratulations on your marriage; & I do not believe that any of your many friends can send you more cordial & true good wishes.
Can you get “leave of absence” & come & dine here
on Saturday at 7 oclock to meet D
Dear Lubbock | Yours very sincerely | Ch Darwin
- f1 1859.f1Dated by the reference to Lubbock's marriage (see n. 2, below).
- f2 1859.f2Lubbock had married Ellen Frances Hordern, only daughter of the late Peter Hordern of Chorlton-cum-Hardy, at Rostherne, Cheshire, on 10 April 1856 (Gentleman's Magazine (1856) pt 1: 640).
- f3 1859.f3Lubbock dined at Down House with CD and his visitors on 26 April (Emma Darwin's diary).
- f4 1859.f4On 17 April, Emma Darwin recorded in her diary: ‘I began to be bad.’ Charles Waring Darwin was born on 6 December 1856.
- f5 1859.f5The Lubbock family residence, a short distance from Down House.