Russian zoologist and civil servant. Graduated in jurisprudence from St Petersburg University, 1855; doctorate in agriculture, Dorpat (Tartu), 1858. Inspector for the southern region, Department of Agriculture, until 1864. Transferred to the Ministry for the Education of the People. Became a librarian at the Imperial Public Library of St Petersburg, where he was director of department of mathematics, natural science, and medicine. Wrote on entomology, the geographical distribution of animals and plants, the physical geography of Russia, agriculture, and forestry. Devoted the last thirty years of his life to the compilation of the “Bibliotheca zoologica rossica” (1905–8).
Sources: Bol’shaya sovetskaya ensiklopediya Entsiklopedicheskii slovar (See the bibliography for full references to sources)