Thanks for answer to questions.
Has analogous questions on reptiles that he will send to AG. The subject interests him, but CD must try not to fall into his common error of "being too speculative".
Down. | Bromley. | Kent. S.E..
My dear D
Sincere thanks.— Your answers are wonderfully clear & complete. I have some analogous questions on Reptiles &c. which I will send in a few days & then I think I shall cause no more trouble— I will get the Books, you refer me to.— The case of the Solenostoma is magnificent, so exactly analogous to that of those birds in which the female is the more gay, but ten times better for me, as she is the incubator.— As I crawl on with the successive classes I am astonished to find how similar the rules are about the nuptial or ``wedding dress'' of all animals. The subject has begun to interest me in an extraordinary degree; but I must try not to fall into my common error of being too speculative. But a drunkard might as well say, he would drink a little & not too much! My essay, as far as fishes, batrachians & reptiles are concerned, will be in fact yours, only written by me.—
With hearty thanks | Yours very sincerely | Ch. Darwin
Remember whenever so inclined how glad we shall be to see you here.—
Thanks for proof plates; I shall be very glad indeed to see the paper.—
- f1 7191.f1The year is established by the relationship between this letter and the letter from Albert Günther, 13 May 1868.
- f2 7191.f2Günther had answered questions on sexual differences in fish. See letter from Albert Günther, 13 May 1868 and n. 1.
- f3 7191.f3See letter from Albert Günther, 13 May 1868 and nn. 6 and 11.
- f4 7191.f4See letter from Albert Günther, 13 May 1868 and n. 11.
- f5 7191.f5See letter from Albert Günther, 13 May 1868 and n. 3.