Thanks AG for full answers to queries.
Delighted Mr Ford will undertake drawings [for Descent]; comments on some illustrations he would like.
Down. | Beckenham | Kent. S.E.
My dear D
Your answers to all my many queries are so full, clear & explicit that I have not a word more to ask, & they will be of the greatest use to me.—
I would not on any account ask you to write to America about
which sex of the Chromids sits on the nest; but if you write on any
other subject, I sh
I am delighted to hear that M
Any species of Salmon, which presents during the breeding season the difference in jaws will do very well.—
Will you ask M
With the most cordial thanks & sincere sympathy | Your's very truly | Ch. Darwin
P.S. | Private | I wish you had told me some news about your child, & how you succeed. You have indeed had a hard & cruel lot to bear.—
- f1 6913.f1The year is established by the relationship between this letter and the letter to Albert Günther, 21 September 1869.
- f2 6913.f2See letter to Albert Günther, 21 September 1869, and letter from Albert Günther, [before 27 September 1869].
- f3 6913.f3See letter from Albert Günther, [before 27 September 1869] and n. 5.
- f4 6913.f4George Henry Ford. See letter from Albert Günther, 23 September 1869.
- f5 6913.f5See letter from Albert Günther, 23 September 1869 and nn. 3 and 4.
- f6 6913.f6Illustrations of a tail feather of a peacock and of tail-coverts of two species of Polyplectron (peacock-pheasants) appear in Descent 2: 137, 139. There is a note with detailed instructions for Ford on the illustration of these specimens in DAR 84.1: 170.
- f7 6913.f7See letter from Albert Günther, 23 September 1869 and n. 7.