Enclosed MS by Lieut. W. Christopher misrepresents CD's views. Contains errors in zoology.
Down Bromley Kent
My dear Sir
I am very much obliged to your kindness in having sent me the enclosed paper. As it is chiefly directed against my views, it does not become me
to make any remarks on what I think of its value. I must, however, protest against
several quotations, which anyone w
I do not believe M
As I do not treat of the zoology of coralls, I make free to urge you, before his Paper is published, to get some zoologist to skim it over, as his errors are very great & would be discreditable to any scientific publication to include.— I have marked a few places with pencil for your inspection: I have made this note more critical than I intended, but I hope you will excuse me.
With my renewed thanks | Believe me | Yours sincerely | C. Darwin
Lieut Nelson R. J. has published a theory in Geolog. Trans vol 5. p. 103 on Bermuda, something like this, of Lieut Christophers.
- f1 646.f1The date is based on the reading and review of William Christopher's paper (see nn. 2 and 5, below).
- f2 646.f2William Christopher's paper was read 26 January 1846 at the Royal Geographical Society and submitted to George Bellas Greenough for review (Council Minute Book, Royal Geographical Society). No mention is made in the minutes of CD as a reviewer.
- f3 646.f3Coral reefs.
- f4 646.f4Journal of researches 2d ed., pp. 465–82.
- f5 646.f5The council minutes of 9 February record the decision not to publish the paper.
- f6 646.f6Richard John Nelson. See Nelson 1840.