Will finish translation of Für Darwin in a week.
Asks CD to use his influence to get him appointed Assistant Secretary of the Geological Society [London].
Yorkshire Philosophical Society | York
My dear Sir
I have at last got my ``Record'' off my hands & will now
resume Fritz Müller.— I should think he will be
finished in a fortnight.— Shall I send the copy to you as
it is finished, or to M
I heard last week that M
I am but very slightly acquainted with Sir Charles Lyell, who is one of the Council, & I should think a word from you at the proper time would serve me with him.—
Believe me | My dear Sir | Your's very truly | W. S.
- f1 6417.f1For Dallas's work on the Record of Zoological Literature, see the letter from W. S. Dallas, 19 August 1868 and n. 3. Dallas was translating Fritz Müller's Für Darwin (F. Müller 1866, W. S. Dallas trans. 1869).
- f2 6417.f2John Murray was the publisher of W. S. Dallas trans. 1869.
- f3 6417.f3CD had purchased clichés of the woodcuts from the German publisher of F. Müller 1866 (see letter to Fritz Müller, 16 March ). The printers were William Clowes & Sons.
- f4 6417.f4Henry Michael Jenkins had been assistant secretary, librarian, and curator at the Geological Society of London since 1862. He became secretary of the Royal Agricultural Society on 1 January 1869 (Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England 5 (1869): vi). See also letter to H. M. Jenkins, [after 1 October 1868].
- f5 6417.f5Thomas Henry Huxley was president of the Geological Society in 1868; for the other officers and members of the council, see the Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society of London 24 (1868): xvii.