On the proportion of sexes in salmon, trout, and rats. [see Descent 1: 305, 308.]
37 Albany S
Feb 27 | 1868
My Dear Sir—
It affords me great pleasure to think that my humble writings are of use to such a `Commanding officer' as yourself
Then again—after spawning many cocks die—few hens. this looks as though nature said now you have done your work— ``die & make room—for younger males''. The old kelts are the fellows that die not many grilse kelts—
I send you a paper that may be of use. I took no notice of it & I forget the date
Do you know a French book ``L'Act de procrier un fils ou une (daughter) a voluntier'' or words to that effect. I think I have a copy somewhere. I shall take the liberty of sendin you my official report on ``Close seasons'' & shall be grateful for any remarks.
Yours obed |F Buckland
I will set this matter going in Land & Water
C Darwin Esq
There are generally more Boar than Sow Rats. I used to breed hundreds. Write J Bush Esq Clapham Retreat Union Road Clapham a first class fellow I gave him my stock & he goes on breeding He is Treasurer to Acclimatisation Society
- f1 05946.f1CD had mentioned that a recent article by Buckland had been helpful in providing information on the proportion of the sexes in trout (see letter to Frank Buckland, 12 February  and n. 2).
- f2 05946.f2CD had received a memorandum from Henry Lee, dated 21 January 1868, with information on the proportion of sexes in trout. See also letter to Henry Lee, 25 February .
- f3 05946.f3No enclosure to this letter has been found.
- f4 05946.f4The reference is to L'art de procréer les sexes à volonté, ou systême complet de génération (Millot 1800).
- f5 05946.f5Buckland refers to The seventh annual report of the inspectors of salmon fisheries (England and Wales) (Buckland and Walpole 1868). Close season: the period of the year when fishing is prohibited.
- f6 05946.f6CD had suggested that Buckland solicit information about sex ratios in animals in Land and Water (letter to F. T. Buckland, 12 February ). No such query has been found in Land and Water.
- f7 05946.f7CD cited Buckland's remarks on rats in Descent 1: 305.
- f8 05946.f8Buckland refers to John Bush and to the Society for the Acclimatisation of Animals, Birds, Fishes, Insects and Vegetables within the United Kingdom.