Thanks CD for his interesting papers.
My dear Sir
I beg to thank you very much for your very interesting papers. I fortunately possess all the Vols of Gard: Chron: so I shall be able to refer to the papers at any time.
I am very anxious to see your book: & indeed, ordered it some months back,
thinking it was out; as I met with an advert
Very faithfully yours | Geo Henslow
C. Darwin Esq
- f1 5336.f1The date is conjectured from the address and the narrow mourning border, which also appear on the letter from George Henslow, 15 August 1867.
- f2 5336.f2The incumbent of Adderley Rectory from 1863 was Athelstan Corbet; he and Henslow had been contemporaries at Cambridge University.
- f3 5336.f3CD published numerous notes and queries in the Gardeners' Chronicle from 1841 onwards (see Calendar, pp. 583--4).
- f4 5336.f4Henslow probably refers to Variation: Variation had been advertised as early as 1865 (Reader, 15 April 1865, p. 427).
- f5 5336.f5Henslow probably refers to the fourth edition of Origin, which was published in November 1866 (Publishers' Circular).