Thanks for all five numbers of Der Mensch .
Had not known that Rütimeyer had written on modification of species.
Down Bromley Kent
My dear Sir
I have received safely all five numbers of your work ``Der Mensch'' & your obliging note of Jan. 28. I have not as yet had time to do more than turn over the pages of the four latter numbers; nor shall I be able for some little time, as my health is weak, but when I do read them I have no doubt I shall find interesting matter, & I thank you sincerely for sending them to me.
Your letter contained several points new to me. I was not aware that Rütimeier
for whom I feel much respect, had ever expressed himself on the subject of the
modification of species. I am sorry to hear what you tell me about
With my best thanks for your kindness pray believe me my dear Sir | yours very faithfully | Ch. Darwin
- f1 4992.f1The year is established by the relationship between this letter and the letter from Friedrich Rolle, 28 January 1866.
- f2 4992.f2CD refers to Rolle 1866 and the letter from Friedrich Rolle, 28 January 1866.
- f3 4992.f3CD refers to Ludwig Rütimeyer; see letter from Friedrich Rolle, 28 January 1866 and n. 11.
- f4 4992.f4CD refers to David Friedrich Weinland and Gustav Jäger; see letter from Friedrich Rolle, 28 January 1866 and nn. 8--10.
- f5 4992.f5See letter from Friedrich Rolle, 28 January 1866 and nn. 3 and 4.