Gives CD some references to papers.
Reports improvement in his wife's health.
-- -- Bot. Zeit. of 1865 to see if there were any memoirs wh. you ought to see. You may have seen them before this. The only likely ones were
p. 1. Hildebrand, on Dichogamy & Dimorphism
13. do of Geranium pratense— Pulmonaria officinalis.
p. 50. Notice of y
p. 245. Hildebr
Happily I can at length I think report improve
Ever very sincerely | D Oliver
- f1 4964.f1The date is established by the relationship between this letter and the letter from J. D. Hooker, 13 May 1866.
- f2 4964.f2The reference is to the two-part article by Friedrich Hildebrand, `Experimente zur Dichogamie und zum Dimorphismus', that appeared in Botanische Zeitung (Hildebrand 1865a). CD had received a copy of the paper in February 1865; see Correspondence vol. 13, letter to J. D. Hooker, 15 [February 1865] and n. 2.
- f3 4964.f3The review `Darwin, über die geschlechtlichen Beziehungen der 3 Formen von Lythrum Salicaria' appeared in the January 1865 issue of Botanische Zeitung, pp. 50--2 (Hildebrand 1865b), under the initials `F. H.'. In his letter to CD of 24 July 1866, Hildebrand confirmed that he was the author.
- f4 4964.f4Oliver refers to Hildebrand 1865c.
- f5 4964.f5The reference is to Oliver's wife, Hannah.
- f6 4964.f6CD had asked Hooker to convey his sympathies regarding the recent death of the Olivers' daughter (see letter to J. D. Hooker, [9 April 1866].