Delighted at CD's praise of his book [Prehistoric times (1865)].
My dear M
Many thanks for your very kind letter. I am delighted with your praise, & am especially glad that you like the last Chapter about which I was a little afraid. The Morning Advertiser devoted a leading article the other morning to abusing me for writing the book & the Times for reviewing it favourably.
You do not mention how you are. I hope the ice Continues to do you good.
Ever dear M
C Darwin Esq
- f1 4860.f1The year is established by the relationship between this letter and the letter to John Lubbock, 11 June .
- f2 4860.f2See letter to John Lubbock, 11 June .
- f3 4860.f3Lubbock refers to chapter 14 (pp. 473--92) of Lubbock 1865 (see letter to John Lubbock, 11 June  and n. 4).
- f4 4860.f4The review in The Times appeared on 6 June 1865, p. 9. The reference to the `Morning Advertiser' has not been identified.
- f5 4860.f5CD had been undertaking an ice treatment for his illness under the direction of John Chapman; see letter to John Chapman, 7 June 1865 and n. 1.