Asks for volumes of F. W. Beechey's work [Narrative of a voyage to the Pacific and Bering Strait (1831)] and Nautical magazine and an order on [John] Arrowsmith for atlas of Dumont d'Urville's Voyage in the "Astrolabe".
12. U. G. S
My dear Sir
Will you please give the Bearer the 1
Yours very faithfully | Charles Darwin
- f1 477.f1The date range is based on CD's residence in Gower Street and the publication of Coral reefs.
- f2 477.f2Beechey 1831. CD later acquired his own copy, which is preserved in Darwin Library–CUL. His notes and markings indicate that they were made while he was at work on Coral reefs.
- f3 477.f3The second volume of The Nautical Magazine (1833) contains much information that would have been of interest to CD: FitzRoy on the Abrolhos, notice of new charts of the east coast of South America, a paper on Falkland Island birds, etc.
- f4 477.f4John Arrowsmith.
- f5 477.f5Dumont d'Urville, ed. 1830–5.
- f6 477.f6Duperrey 1825–30.