Sends a translation by Mr Noel [not found] of C. B. von Cotta's views on CD's and Lyell's work.
Ravensbourne | Bromley S.E.
I have been hoping to call—(instead of which, I am going away) with a
manuscript—a translation from an article written by (the German Professor of
Geology) Cotta on Sir C. Lyell's & M
Believe me very sincerely yrs Alice Bonham Carter
Elinor hopes to call on Thursday
- f1 4722.f1The year is established by the reference to Cotta 1865 (see n. 2, below), which was published in the first half of April 1865 (Publishers' Circular 28: 200).
- f2 4722.f2The reference is to Geology and history, by Carl Bernhard von Cotta (Cotta 1865). The book included a discussion of Charles Lyell's work on human ancestry (C. Lyell 1863a), and a favourable commentary on Origin (see Cotta 1865, pp. 54--8, 60--75).
- f3 4722.f3Robert Ralph Noel. The translation was evidently made from a German manuscript; Cotta's book was not published in German.
- f4 4722.f4The work did not appear in the Natural History Review, but was published in book form (Cotta 1865). A copy is in the Darwin Library--Down.
- f5 4722.f5John Lubbock.
- f6 4722.f6Elinor Mary Bonham-Carter was the sister of Alice Bonham-Carter.