Scott would be very welcome at Down for a short visit.
My dear Hooker
I write now merely to say that if Mr Scott has time to come here for a day I shd
very much like to see him. Tell him how to get to
Bromley, which is 6 miles from this house. An omnibus to Keston meets many trains which will bring him
I shall write soon
Ever yours | C Darwin
- f1 4592.f1The date is established by the relationship between this letter and the letter from J. D. Hooker, [15 August 1864].
- f2 4592.f2CD describes John Scott's visit in his letter to Hooker of [23 August 1864]. It is likely that Scott visited Down on 18 August 1864. CD's Account book--cash account (Down House MS) records a gift of £80 to Scott on that day.
- f3 4592.f3Keston is a village in Kent, two miles north-west of Down.
- f4 4592.f4See letter to J. D. Hooker, [5 August 1864], n. 2.
- f5 4592.f5Emma Darwin's diary (DAR 242) records `C. attack of sickness | better in afternoon' on 8 August 1864.