Hopes they might meet as WDF has to come to town.
Delamere Rectory | Northwich | Cheshire
My dear Darwin
It is now long since I have heard any thing of you. Is there
the least hope of your being in or near London from middle of next week this the
following one? I should so very much like to see you again. I
am going to take my 3
Yours I suppose are doing rapidly—while we (as one of my little ones said to her Mother a few days since) go down as they go up.
Are you a Believer in Free Martins— I have always found them true in practise till now. A Lady near here, whom I know well, and her twin Brother also—has one from Baby & just had a miscarriage of another.
How are Caroline Susan & Catherine? What ages it is
since I have seen them—The former never since her Marriage. I
Susan I mean to offer to pay a visit to ere long, if she will have me.
That I may not tire you out I will conclude with our kindest regards to
- f1 3970.f1The year is established by the reference to Samuel William Darwin Fox's time at Oxford University (see n. 5, below).
- f2 3970.f2See Correspondence vol. 10, letter to W. D. Fox, 20 [September 1862].
- f3 3970.f3CD arranged to meet Fox in London on 13 February 1863 (see letter to W. D. Fox, [10 February 1863], and letter from W. D. Fox [11 February 1863]).
- f4 3970.f4Fox refers to his thirteen-year-old son, Robert Gerard Fox (Darwin pedigree).
- f5 3970.f5Samuel Fox entered Wadham College, Oxford, in 1861 (Alum. Oxon.).
- f6 3970.f6The reference is to Repton School in Derbyshire, which Charles Woodd Fox had attended since 1859 (Repton School register).
- f7 3970.f7Fox refers to Eliza Ann Sanders and her son Charles Henry Martyn Sanders, and to Harriet Emma Overton and her son Frederick Arnold Overton. By 1863, Fox had fifteen children from two marriages (Darwin pedigree).
- f8 3970.f8Freemartin or free martin: a `hermaphrodite or imperfect female' (OED).
- f9 3970.f9Fox refers to CD's sisters, Caroline Sarah Wedgwood, Susan Elizabeth Darwin, and Emily Catherine Darwin.
- f10 3970.f10Caroline Sarah Darwin married Josiah Wedgwood III in 1837. There were three surviving daughters of the marriage, Katherine Elizabeth Sophy, Margaret Susan, and Lucy Caroline Wedgwood (Darwin pedigree).
- f11 3970.f11Charles Henry Lardner Woodd was a brother of Fox's second wife, Ellen Sophia Fox (Burke's landed gentry 1952).