French translation of 3d edition of Origin has been greatly delayed.
Very pleased with CEB-S's intent to write a review and with his near agreement. CD believes that so many really good judges concur with him in the main that his views will ultimately prevail. Continental reviews have been more positive than British ones. Édouard Claparède's ["M. Darwin et sa théorie de la formation des espèces", Rev. Ger. 16 (1861): 523–59; 17 (1861): 232–63] is too favourable.
Down. | Bromley. | Kent. S.E.
My dear Sir
I have taken a very long time in thanking you for your extremely kind note of
You say in your note, ``that few men are so near agreeing with me as I am''.— I cannot tell you how this has pleased me; for I look with profound interest for the judgment of such men as yourself. I have not the least doubt that I have erred most seriously on many points; but now so many (yet few) really good judges concur in the main with me, that I do not fear that some such view will ultimately prevail, notwithstanding all the abuse & ridicule so freely poured on me.— On the Continent the Reviewers have treated me more fairly than in this country; & an excellent, but too favourable, Review has lately been published by Claparéde in the Revue Germanique.—
Pray excuse me scribbling so long a note & believe me, my dear Sir | With sincere respect | Yours very faithfully | Ch. Darwin
- f1 3508.f1The year is provided by the reference to the imminent publication of the French translation of Origin (see n. 3, below).
- f2 3508.f2Letter from C. E. Brown-Séquard, 13 January 1862.
- f3 3508.f3Royer trans. 1862.
- f4 3508.f4See letter to C. E. Brown-Séquard, 2 January , and letter from C. E. Brown-Séquard, 13 January 1862. Brown-Séquard intended to publish a review of Origin in the Journal de la Physiologie de l'Homme et des Animaux; however, no such review appeared.
- f5 3508.f5Claparède 1861. Edouard Claparède had sent CD a copy of the review (see letter to Edouard Claparède, [c. 16 April 1862]); it had in fact been published in the numbers of the Revue Germanique for August and September 1861.