Invitation to visit; Hooker will be present. Gives directions to Down. Also plans to invite John Lubbock over for an evening.
My dear M
I only heard this morning when Hooker was coming or I would have given you longer notice.— A bit of rest would do you good.—
Yours very sincerely | C. Darwin
Bromley is 10 miles from London & you can start from the Victoria Station Pimlico, or from London Bridge.— Do not get out at ``Shortlands for Bromley'', but at the proper Bromley Station.—
- f1 3507.f1The year is established by the references to Bates and Joseph Dalton Hooker visiting Down House (see nn. 2 and 3, below).
- f2 3507.f2See letter from J. D. Hooker, [15 April 1862]. According to Emma Darwin's diary (DAR 242), Hooker was a guest at Down House from 17 to 21 April 1862.
- f3 3507.f3Emma Darwin recorded Bates's arrival at Down House in her diary for 18 April 1862 (DAR 242).
- f4 3507.f4See letter from John Lubbock, 17 April 1862.
- f5 3507.f5See letter from J. D. Hooker, [15 April 1862].