Invites Mrs Huxley and the children to spend a fortnight at Down.
MS of Chauncey Wright's review has not yet arrived.
[P.S. missing from original.]
Down Bromley Kent
My dear Huxley
On my journey home, a scheme occurred to me, which I think is worth your thinking
about.— Do you not think a little change would be
the best thing for M
My dear Huxley | Yours very sincerely | Ch. Darwin
P.S. I have heard from Tr¨ubner that the Box from U. States did not contain any M.S. Review from Wright of Boston. It seems to have been forgotten by some accident.
- f1 3066.f1Dated by the invitation for Henrietta Anne Huxley to visit Down House (see n. 4, below).
- f2 3066.f2CD travelled to London on 21 February 1861, returning to Down on 22 February (Emma Darwin's diary). He attended a meeting of the Philosophical Club of the Royal Society on 21 February 1861 (Bonney 1919, p. 154).
- f3 3066.f3Henrietta Huxley was recuperating from the birth of a child in December 1860 and suffering `inconsolable grief' over the death in September 1860 of the Huxleys' first-born son, Noel (L. Huxley ed. 1900, 1: 216). Emma Darwin had experienced a similar trauma in 1851 (see Correspondence vol. 5).
- f4 3066.f4Henrietta Huxley and the children visited the Darwins at Down House from 9 to 25 March 1861 (Emma Darwin's diary). In a letter sent to Henrietta Emma Litchfield and published in the biography of her mother, Henrietta Huxley recalled this visit (Emma Darwin 2: 186):
in the early days of our acquaintance, just after we had lost our boy, she begged me to come to her and bring the three children and nurse, and I should have the old nurseries at Down. I first wrote that I was too ill to be out of my home, that I could not get downstairs till 1 o'clock. Her reply was, that that was the usual state of the family at Down, and I should just be following suit. What wonder that I had for her always the most grateful affection.
- f5 3066.f5The postscript is no longer with the original letter but is included in the copy in DAR 145.
- f6 3066.f6See letter to T. H. Huxley, 17 February .