Local affairs and finances.
Down Bromley Kent
I enclose draft & memorandum, which I hope will make all clear.— I
have not paid to you Ld
I am delighted to hear that you are on my or rather our side; I feared from a former note that you were changing your opinion.— I shall be very glad to see you any day.
Sir John called here yesterday, about Rifle-Club. How admirably he is doing the work. He is worth half a dozen Bromley Committees. I have been quite ashamed at the poor figure Kent has cut in the Newspapers.— Please tell Sir John (so that I will not trouble him with separate note) that my Butler Parslow is enthusiastic & quite proud to join the Down Volunteers, & I am sure that he will do his best.— I wish I were strong enough to join.—
Farewell till we | yours very truly, but in a very savage frame of mind against £: s: d.— | C. Darwin
P.S | I shall be in London next Thursday Friday & Saturday; I hope these may not be your days at High Elms.—
- f1 2586.f1The year is given by an entry in CD's Account book (Down House MS), dated 17 December 1859, recording the sums mentioned in the letter.
- f2 2586.f2CD's Address book (Down House MS) lists a Rev. T. S. Stephens in Down.
- f3 2586.f3Mr Deacon was possibly the Lubbocks' steward, in which capacity he would have been responsible for their accounts.
- f4 2586.f4CD was treasurer of the Down Friendly Club and the Down Coal and Clothing Society. See also letter to John Lubbock, 12 December .
- f5 2586.f5John William Lubbock established a local rifle club in Down as the village's contribution to the volunteer movement, which was a response to the threat of invasion by France. CD began subscribing to the club in August 1859 (CD's Account book (Down House MS)). In the event of an invasion, the county of Kent would probably have been the first region called upon to defend Britain.
- f6 2586.f6CD apparently forgot to complete the sentence when he turned over the page.
- f7 2586.f7High Elms was the Lubbock family residence. John Lubbock spent much of the week at his house in London.