Lists pigeons and poultry he is forwarding to WBT.
Wants details of WBT's Poultry book [1856–7]
and is anxious to purchase his long-winged runt.
Thanks him for help and information on fowl crosses.
Down Bromley Kent
My dear Sir
I am extremely much obliged for your to me very interesting letter, which I will go through seriatim.
The Scanderoons shall be sent (I have seen since I wrote some tendency to go to nest) to the address carriage paid on Thursday morning before 12 oclock. The Borneo Fowls shall be sent at same time; for as coming from interior of Borneo (sent by the Rajah Sir J. Brooke) I think they are worth notice, even if not presenting any peculiar character.—
I doubt whether the young Barbs are old enough to travel; but they shall be saved for
you.— If Scanderoon dies please remember I sh
Please sometime inform me; & likewise tell me whether I can purchase the Poultry Book which you edit, & who are publishers: the deuce is in my Booksellers, why they have not got it me yet: I must give them a rowing: I think I told you that they had sent me an old Edition, not edited, apparently, by you.— Is your Edition completed yet?
Thanks for information about Turbits & for your kind offer of your Birds, but
Also, thanks for offer of Fowls eggs for me to see the chickens, but the simple truth is that I have so many objects to observe & experimentise on, that I literally have no time to watch anything else, & as it is, I work too hard.—
Your sitting of the Rumpless, Polands which you have so kindly sent me, are put under a Hen today.—
Lastly thanks for information about crossed Fowls: I am surprised that red does not appear in some crosses.
With my very sincere thanks. My dear Sir | Your's very truly | Ch. Darwin
- f1 2093.f1The year of the letter is suggested by the relationship to the letter to W. B. Tegetmeier, 12 [May 1857].
- f2 2093.f2See letter to W. B. Tegetmeier, 12 [May 1857].
- f3 2093.f3CD had been trying for some time to acquire a runt from Mr Gulliver (see letter to W. B. Tegetmeier, 21 September ).
- f4 2093.f4Tegetmeier ed. 1856–7 was published in parts, beginning in May 1856, by William S. Orr and Co., London.
- f5 2093.f5Tegetmeier's Poultry book was a rearranged and enlarged edition of an earlier work of the same title published in 1853 by William Wriothesley Wingfield and George William Johnson. CD had first ordered the work from his booksellers in the spring of 1856 (see letter to W. B. Tegetmeier, 25 April ).
- f6 2093.f6Publication of Tegetmeier's Poultry book ceased with part 11, which appeared in July 1857. A new and complete edition (Tegetmeier 1867) was published ten years later, with parts issued regularly in 1866 and 1867.