From Tristram Charles Sawyer Speedy 29 September 1868
Freshwater | I.O.W.
29 Sept 68.
In accordance with your wish—I beg to forward you some answers to your “Queries about Expression” which I hope may be what you wished for.1
I remain | Yours truly | T. Speedy
Chas Darwin Esqr
No 1. Yes. also right hand placed on the forehead palm to the front.2
4. Yes, also biting nether lip also snapping thumb & middle finger.
11. Yes, also spitting on the ground5
14. Yes8—also place back of hand against the mouth.
15. The jealous expression am unable to define except that nether lip is bitten, corners of mouth drawn down, slight frown.
16. No hiss—only hand gently patting the lips
17. in affirmation, head thrown back, or jerked back, eye brows raised for an instant, negation, head jerked to right shoulder, & slight cluck with tongue, mouth closed9
Sends some answers to CD’s queries on expression, based on his observations of Abyssinians.
Please cite as
Darwin Correspondence Project, “Letter no. 6398,” accessed on 14 February 2016, http://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/DCP-LETT-6398