Elizabeth Garrett Anderson
Physician. Née Garrett; married James George Skelton Anderson in 1871. One of the first women to practise medicine in Britain. Obtained a medical licence from the Society of Apothecaries in 1865. MD, Paris, 1870. Set up in practice in London, and established the St Mary’s Dispensary for Women and Children in 1866. Opened the New Hospital for Women (later the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital) in 1871. Taught at and sat on the council of the London School of Medicine for Women from 1874; dean, 1883–1902.