- Barrett, Paul. et al. eds. Charles Darwin’s Notebooks, 1836-1841. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press and British Museum (Natural History), 1987.
- Darwin, Charles, The descent of man and selection in relation to sex. 2 vols. London: John Murray, 1871.
- Darwin, Charles, 1877. A biographical sketch of an infant. Mind 2: 285-294.
- Farrar, Frederic William. 1860. An essay on the origin of language, based on modern researches, and especially on the works of M. Renan. London: John Murray.
- Farrar, Frederic William. 1865. Chapters on language. London: Longmans, Green, and Co.
- Max Müller, Friedrich, 1861. Lectures on the science of language delivered at the Royal Institution of Great Britain in April, May, and June, 1861. London: Longman, Green, Longman & Roberts.
- Max Müller, Friedrich. 1864. Lectures on the science of language. 2d series. London: Longmans.
- Schleicher, August. 1869. Darwinism tested by the science of language. Translated from the German, with preface and additional notes, by Alex V. W. Bikkers. London: John Camdem Hotten.
- Wake, C. S. 1868. Chapters on man, with the outlines of a science of comparative psychology. London: N. Trübner.
- Wedgwood, Hensleigh. 1866. On the origin of language. London: N. Trübner.
- Whitney, William Dwight. 1875. The life and growth of language. London: King.
- Alter, Steven G. 1999. Darwinism and the linguistic image: language, race and natural theology in the nineteenth century. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Alter, Steven G. 2005. William Dwight Whitney and the science of language. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Alter, Steven G. 2008. Darwin and the linguists: the coevolution of mind and language, Part 2. The language–thought relationship. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, 39: 38-50.
- Beer, Gillian. 1996. Darwin and the growth of language theory. In Open fields: science in cultural encounter. Oxford: Clarendon Press, pp. 95-114.
- Radick, Gregory, 2008. The simian tongue: the long debate about animal language. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Richards, Robert. J. 1987. Darwin and the emergence of evolutionary theories of mind and behavior. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Contemporary debates on the origin of language
- Bickerton, Derek. 1990. Language and species. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Cheney, Dorothy, and Robert Seyfarth. 2007. Baboon Metaphysics. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Hauser, Marc. 1996. The evolution of communication. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
- Hurford, James R., Michael Studdert-Kennedy, and Chris Knight, eds. 1998. Approaches to the evolution of language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Pinker, Steven 1994. The language instinct: the new science of language and mind. London: Allen Lane.