Will be pleased to receive FCG's paper. Already has that of [G. R.] Crotch. Encourages further independent work.
Down. | Bromley. | Kent. S.E.
I am much obliged to you for sending me your paper which I shall probably receive by tomorrow's post. I should have been very sorry to have missed seeing it, which might have happened as I do not take in the Ibis. I had already seen Mr. Crotch's paper. I am particularly glad to hear that you intend to work up all the materials into a single paper & draw your own conclusions, for that certainly is the way to gain valuable results.
Believe me dear Sir | yours very faithfully | Ch. Darwin
- f1 5738f.f1The year is established by the relationship between this letter and the letter from F. Du C. Godman, 21 December .
- f2 5738f.f2CD refers to Godman 1866. See letter from F. Du C. Godman, 21 December  and n. 3.
- f3 5738f.f3Godman 1866 was published in Ibis, the journal of the British Ornithologists' Union, of which Godman was a founder member.
- f4 5738f.f4Crotch 1867. See letter from F. Du C. Godman, 21 December  and n. 5.
- f5 5738f.f5See letter from F. Du C. Godman, 21 December  and n. 8.